Ace-Rag

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play any live poker this weekend. I'll be playing my weekly games - Tourney on Wednesday night at my house and a very lucrative cash game on Saturday night.

Since I have no new poker stories to tell you about, I'll tell you about the adjustment I've made in my play. I've stopped playing Ace rag. Specifically, I will no longer play ace deuce, ace three, ace four, ace five, six or seven. I've been watching the results of playing these hands for a long time. It seems to me that they lose at least 80% of the time. (regardless of whether or not it's suited you have to throw those starting hands away)

Here's what happens when you play those shitty hands. Either you get an ace on flop and lose because someone has you out kicked. Or you fear you're out kicked and don't bet enough, allowing your opponent to get cards on the cheap. Or you get your five on the flop and it starts to look pretty good and you call with middle or low pair just to lose chips.

YUCK - catching middle or low pairs just suck you in and you lose chips.

Trust me on this one - and if you cannot bear to toss those aces, be observant and start tracking just how many times they win and lose. Once you do that for a while you'll get on board.

ONLY time I'll play them now is if I'm the BB and there's no raise preflop or if I'm on the button and everyone else has folded. In that case I'd go ahead and triple the blinds against the big and little blind, but that's it!

This minor adjustment has helped my play and I hope it'll help you too (unless I'm playing at your table). LOL

And don't forget my favorite hand to play is Jack/Ten. That hand has busted pocket aces and pocket kings more times than you'd believe....but I'm not asking you to believe me, I'm asking you to start paying attention to it. You'll see for yourself.

Okay I gotta fly. I'll post the results of my wednesday night game. :)

Comments

dbcooper said…
I never place Ace Rag (2,3,4,5) unless I am on the button or one off and its been folded to me. Then I only play it if the blinds don't reraise after I raise. I also never play Ace 6,7,8 or 9 at any time unless they are suited and only on the button. Anybody raises and I am out of there. With any of those hands you never know where you are and they are definately chip gobblers.
Josie said…
You'd be surprised at how many people do play those hands....hmmm you even treat Ace 9 the same way, huh? You're good....or should I say discriminating (in a good way).

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs Are Vermin

Like Kissing My Sister.....

Upset