Best Intentions

If someone offers to do something nice for you, and then tries like heck to get the job done, but doesn't because of something out of his control (like traffic) should you bust his balls or show appreciation?

Bust his balls, right? :)

Gary was going to be stopping by my house to pick up something he needed and offered to coincide his trip with when I got home from work so I didn't have to walk home from the bus stop.  Very thoughtful of him, wouldn't you say?  It's a 19 minute walk (but who's counting) from the bus stop and since my knees get achy, I took him up on his offer.  It was was Sugar Bear's first day home alone and wanted to get there asap.  Below is an exchange that took place via email.

Gary:  are you gonna want an iced coffee or sumpin?


Josie:  Does a cat have an a$$? :) How bout whoever's there first gets it? These days I like Med iced coffee milk no sugar. (NOT cream)  How do you take yours in case i'm there first? :)
 
Gary:  cream and 4 equals - but I suspect I'll be there first. And yes, I'll take action on that sh1t. Hell, I'll leave RIGHT NOW and be bored all day to sew that one up.
 
He's a funny one, ain't he?  From the exchange above, I figured he'd be on time or at least close to it.  
 
I got a call from Gary while I was on the bus and he said that he thought I'd get there first.  No problem!  I told him I'd get the drinks and be ready when he arrived.   I got to Dunks at 5:09 and called Evan.  He wanted a frozen hot chocolate, so I got us all drinks and waited.....
 
And read my book.......
 
And waited.......
 
And answered my phone.......because Sugar Bear called every 5-10 minutes asking when I'd be home.  After his 8th call I started getting pissy. "I don't know when Evan!!!"  Mind you I'm holding 3 icey drinks that are melting before my eyes in the sun.
 
Turns out there was traffic, an accident, and I dunno, maybe a tornado, because he was AN HOUR LATE.
 
I shiat you not.  Ugh.  I was trying not to appear ungrateful to Gary for his thoughtfulness while thinking 'I could've been home a half hour ago!'
 
I get home to find Evan, (his first day home alone) with all the windows shut and the fan off.  It was like 90 degrees in my house!  And the kid never ate lunch.  Had I been any later we might have had to bring the dehydrated little bugger to the hospital.  I mean he's going to be THIRTEEN.  He knows how to open a window!  I left him a list of things to do, and he did get all the items done.  I just wish I put eating lunch on the list.


So anyway, we decide to go to dinner at Kelly's Roast Beef in Saugus.  I'll tell you about that little adventure tomorrow.  Oh and I'll tell you about the bad dream I had.  I was violent in it!

Hell, I'll tell you about the dream now!

I dreamt that I was yelling at Evan and he was listening to me (big shocker).  So I proceed to start slapping and hitting him (in my dream because I never hit children, only men).  So in the middle of hitting Evan he looks up at my and starts laughing at me.  Doh!  I grab a wooden spoon and proceed to beat him about his arms and shoulders.  I awoke while yelling (in my dream) I HATE YOU EVAN, I HATE YOU, I HATE YOU I HATE YOU!!!!

How freaky is that?  I never use the hate word.  Of course I told Evan all about it.  :)

Josie

Comments

lightning36 said…
At least you are now fixating all your anger on people other than me ...
Josie said…
Lighting, I'm saving a special bit for you. :)
crafty said…
Oh my GOD it was awful. Boston traffic at its most tooth-grinding. Two hours and eight minutes to take a trip that normally takes me 52 minutes. THEN after this horrible drive from hell I have to deal with Sicilian Woman With Attitude. "I could have walked home, you know. I would have except for the damn iced coffee."

But know what? Me and the Thunder Taurus showed up and not only got her home but got her errands run too. And the iced coffee was like water from the gods themselves. So everyone ended up ok the end.
Josie said…
LOL I was TRYING to not appear pissed off. Thanks for everything, including the pit stop to Barnes & Noble for summer reading. Evan has to read chapter 1 today.
Kelly's Roast Beef is so awesome, one of the things I really miss about my days in Boston. Wasn't there one at a Bernie & Phyl's furniture store or something in the metro area?
Bayne_S said…
WTF is it with Sicilian women and the wooden spoon???
Josie said…
Kelly's really is awesome. The best one is the original which is right on Revere Beach - my old stomping ground. And you can rest assured that Kelly's french fries are PEELED, unlike Wendy's. :)
Josie said…
Bayne, I know!

I remember my mom hitting my brother with a wooden spoon and breaking it when I was a kid, so perhaps I channeled that. My mother was also a shoe thrower.
Memphis MOJO said…
Gary always seems like a very considerate type guy -- must have been really bad traffic.
Josie said…
Mojo, you're right, he's considerate. Oh did I mention he told dirty jokes to evan during dinner???? Oh wait, that's for tomorrow's post. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Dogs Are Vermin

Like Kissing My Sister.....

Upset